Being a traveller from New Zealand can bring a range of stupid questions and constant comparisons to Australia, which is extremely frustrating. Here are some of the phrases I have had to put up with and I dare say most Kiwis hear when they are abroad.
- “I want to go to New Zealand because it looks beautiful and weather must be amazing, being hot all time like Australia”
- “The aborigines are New Zealands native people, aren’t they?”
- *Having a conversation* “Oh, where abouts in Australia are you from?” –By doesn’t-know-the-difference
- “Wait, how can you have your Christmas in summer? Christmas has to be cold and snowing otherwise it’s not Christmas. I thought every place has a cold Christmas” – Yes, a dumbarse boy actually said that.
- “Where abouts are you from?”
(me) “I’m from the Wairarapa”
“So, is that near Auckland?”
- “I thought New Zealand was a part of Australia, that’s what we are taught in school” *faceplant * – An American
- “Say fish and chips for me” –By every-funny-person-alive
- “Say 6 for me” – By every-other-funny-person-alive
- “Where are you from?” (me)“NZ”, “Hey mate” –By a cheeky bastard
- “How can you be white but are from New Zealand? I don’t get it.” –By an absolute airhead
- “I met a kiwi once and they were a bitch” -By bad-breakup-douchebag
- “What the hell did you just say? I can’t understand you” – By In-need-of-a-hearing-aid
- “You need a pin? What?” (me) “no, a pen!”
- “You eat a lot of cheese in your country. Cheese is very fatty” (me) “well yeah, I guess we do” “yeah, I can tell” –An Indian man (I had to add this one in from my experience!)
- “You have a beautiful country. Lord of the rings was filmed there” –No shit Sherlock, I already know that.
If any other kiwis can relate please can I get an Amen! Leave your other random phrases people have said to you while travelling! If you need cheap flights around the world I know how to get the absolute CHEAPEST! I also know how you can get free accommodation!