Albania has been my home for the last 4 months, so I wanted to share with you my favourite photos from this incredibly beautiful and untouched country. Beware, these photos may make you want to pack your bags and visit Albania as soon as possible!
1)Discover the paradise that is Ksamil.
It is the most popular place for tourists to visit in the south of Albania simply because of its paradise-like features. White sand, crystal clear water and chilled beach vibe.
2) Berat is one of the UNESCO towns located in Albania.
It’s famous for its white ottoman houses like in the picture above. The town is commonly referred to as the town of one thousand windows. Can you see why?
3) Albania’s coastline is incredibly picturesque.
In the distance, you can see Greece. Did you know from Corfu to Saranda (Albania) it’s only a 25-minute ferry ride?!
4) Albania’s architecture is beautifully quaint.
If you get to explore the ancient villages you will be blessed with cobbled streets and old stone houses.
5) The coastal drive from Saranda to Himare is one of the best in the world.
Make sure you take the time to stopover for picture breaks as the views are breath-taking.
6) The people of Albania are very friendly and hospitable.
They are some of the most caring, honest and helpful people I have come across on my travels. In Albania, they have a code of Besa which roughly translates to ‘to keep the promise’. Albanians will promise to keep you safe and full always!
7) The sunsets are simply incredible
Especially from the Hairy Lemon Hostel in Saranda. Scenes like this are a common occurrence.
8) Beaches like this one are everywhere down the south of Albania.
In fact, I think Albania has the best beaches in Europe in my opinion. They are less crowded than anywhere else you will find in Europe. Trust me, they are amazing!
9) Albania has many UNESCO sites including this one, Butrint.
Located just 20km from Saranda lies a Roman and Greek heritage site dating back to the 8th century BC.
10) There’s always a quiet place to chill out in Albania, unlike its other European neighbours.
The beaches are like Greece (even better!) and it’s also half the price making it an incredibly affordable travel destination.
11) Albania has many natural wonders including the Blue Eye, which is near the city of Saranda.
Still, no one can find the source of the spring. Divers have only been able to go down 50 meters before having to come back up again, so there is no clue as to how deep this colourful spring is.
12) Berat’s castle is a fantastic viewpoint to look at the landscape of Albania.
70% of Albania’s landscape is mountainous territory.
13) If you’re looking for a beach holiday, then Albania is the one.
Albania is extremely popular for backpackers because it has the best of both worlds – great beaches and a fascinating and mind-blowing history. Not only that but the culture and the language (Shqip) is unlike no other in this world!
14) Another UNESCO site is Gijrokastёr.
The old town is beautiful with grape vines, stone buildings, cobbled streets and a kick-arse castle. From the castle, you get a beautiful view of the old and new Gijrokastёr along with the surrounding mountains. It’s especially beautiful during sunset. You can even see tanks and touch other weapons within the castle.
15) From Lëkurësi Castle in Saranda, you get a magnificent view of the south of Albania and the Adriatic and the Ionian Sea.
It really is one of the most impressive viewpoints in Albania, especially on a sunny day.
Did these photos make you want to visit Albania? Make sure you read my ultimate guide to Saranda and my guide to transport through Albania. They are going to be very helpful if you are planning a trip here.
Love this article? Pin it for later!